If you’re looking for an easy way to spice up your boring meal, Sissy’s Southwest Black Beans recipe is just what you need!
- 4 oz. finely diced smoked ham
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tbsp. bacon drippings
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 – 15 oz. cans Black Beans
- 3 whole bay leaves
- 2 or 3 tbsp. “Sissy’s Grillin’ Dust”
- 1 or 2 tsp. each ground cumin, crushed red pepper flakes, black pepper
- ½ can beer
- 2/3 cup water
- Combine bacon drippings, olive oil, onion, garlic, Sissy’s Grillin’ Dust and smoked ham. Saute’ until ham starts to brown and onions wilt.
- Just when everything starts to stick to the pan, add beer. Scrape bottom of pan to lift browned bits.
- Add the black beans, bay leaves and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a medium boil for 5 minutes, stirring just enough to prevent sticking.
- Reduce heat and simmer at least 30 minutes (long enough to let all flavors blend).
- Remove bay leaves.
Serve over white rice and topped with sour cream, chopped green onions and a dash or two of hot sauce.
To make Black Bean Soup, use potato masher to smash some of the beans. Use more beer to dilute to soup consistently. Continue simmering for another 30 minutes or so. Add more seasonings to taste.